Free VITA Tax prep returns to the LaGrange Library beginning Monday, January 23rd.
Services this year will operate differently from years past. Materials for preparation may only be dropped off with certified volunteers on Mondays from 10-5pm and Wednesdays from 10-5pm at the LaGrange Library. Materials dropped at the Library outside of those times, or dropped at the wrong locations, will not be accepted for returns and may be destroyed to protect the privacy of individuals. After dropping off your documents with certified VITA volunteers during the approved hours, you will be contacted to pick up your returns via appointment. Appointments are only scheduled when the tax returns are complete, and all appointments are scheduled by the tax prep volunteers. The Library cannot schedule appointments for individuals.
Before arriving at the Library to drop off your materials for preparation, please make sure you have brought the correct and complete information.
What to bring with you:
- (copy of) Proof of identification (photo ID)
- (copy of) Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents
- An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
- Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
- Forms 1095-A, B and C, Health Coverage Statements
- Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable
For more information about the VITA Tax Service, please visit the IRS website.