We are no longer accepting applications for this position.
Assistant Branch Manager- Goshen Library
Institution: Oldham County Public Library
Location: 12505 Harmony Landing Rd, Goshen, 40026
Type of Position: Full-time, Exempt
Schedule: 37.5 hours per week, some nights and weekends as required
Salary: Starting at $38,025 (commensurate with experience)
Benefits: Vacation, Sick Leave, Health, Vision, and Life Insurance, CERS Retirement System
Start date: As soon as possible.
Distinguishing Features of Class:
Under the general direction of the Branch Manager, the Assistant Branch Librarian manages the branch circulation desk and scheduling. The Assistant Branch Librarian provides library services and programming for adult patrons and families at the branch library. Work is independent and requires a high degree of discretion and judgment with general direction/oversight.
Education, Training and Experience:
Preferred: ALA accredited Master’s Degree in Library Science, prior supervisory experience
Required: Must have, or be able to obtain, proper certification from the State Board of Certification for Librarians. Community programming or event planning experience is required. Must have thorough knowledge of technology including Windows, MS Office, email, and the Internet; ability to learn MS Teams, Office 365, Outlook, and various other software products.
Immediate Supervisor: Branch Manager
Positions Directly Supervised: Library Assistants, Library Pages
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages circulation desk scheduling and training.
- Manages circulation processes and maintains organization of the circulation desk.
- Participates in all desk duties including customer service, reader’s advisory and reference, shelving, shelf reading, and maintaining the order of the Library.
- Prepares and implements programs for adults and families primarily at the branch, but may be required to assist with programs at other locations.
- Presents information about Library services and programs to individuals and groups in the library and at outreach locations.
- Supervises branch cash handling
- Coordinates the routine maintenance of all copiers and printers.
- Assists in developing and implementing circulation policies, procedures, and services. Trains staff on proper interpretation of policies and procedures.
- Prepares various reports for use in collection management tasks.
- Will be required to work some evenings and weekends as scheduled.
- Meets regularly with the Branch Manager and communicates effectively with other library staff to ensure the efficient completion of departmental tasks.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Skills, Knowledge, Abilities:
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of library materials; current and classic.
- Ability to find quality answers to patron reference questions.
- Can work independently as well as part of a team.
- Establishes and maintains an effective working relationship with people of all demographics.
- Supervise and instruct others with courtesy, tact, initiative and integrity.
- Provides excellent customer service.
- Maintains composure while handling complaints from the public.
- Maintains working relationships with other community leaders.
- Demonstrates effective problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Ability to manage daily tasks alongside short-term and long-term projects.
- Ability to meet firm deadlines.
- Flexible, adaptable, and able to flourish in a changing environment.
- Dependable, motivated self-starter.
- Maintains and can verbalize thorough knowledge of professional library principles, practices, methods and administration.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Individuals may need to sit or stand for extended periods.
- Manual dexterity to manipulate library materials required.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing effectively.
- Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required to shelve books or store materials throughout the work day.
- Employee may need to carry, push, pull, or lift up to 30 pounds. Proper lifting techniques required.
- Push and pull fully loaded (50-100 pounds) book trucks.
- Must have ability to work under pressure, coordinating multiple responsibilities simultaneously, and meet firm deadlines.
Will be required to work evenings and weekends. Must occasionally travel to offsite meetings and events.