Technical Services Clerk: LaGrange Library
Institution: Oldham County Public Library
Location: 308 Yager Ave, LaGrange, KY 40031
Type of Position: part-time; non-exempt
Schedule: 15 hours per week. Suggested schedule, 5 hours each Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Set schedule is variable depending on candidate.
Salary: Starting at $11.00
Benefits: Sick and Vacation leave
Start Date: As soon as possible.
The Technical Services Clerk is responsible for processing library materials following established procedure. Works independently and is accountable for specified results. Exercises a moderate degree of discretion within established guidelines, best practices, and procedures. Develops and implements improvements to policies, procedures, and services. May take on project leadership roles. The position requires a commitment to service excellence; the ability to work well with others on a team and independently; and the ability to remain flexible and flourish in a changing environment. Ability to use tools and equipment, including the library's integrated library system (ILS), is necessary to effectively perform assigned duties.
Education, Training, and Experience
High school diploma or GED and public service work experience
Immediate Supervisor: Head of Technical Services
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs functions in acquisitions and processing. Duties include but are not limited to receiving shipments, checking in shipments, providing quality control, organizing and submitting paperwork, marking library ownership in materials, applying book jackets, ordering supplies, repairing materials, and discarding deaccessioned materials
- Maintains an acute attention to detail in all aspects of work
- Performs work with a consistent, high level of technical expertise
- Effectively communicates with vendors regarding issues
- Effectively uses the library's integrated library system (ILS) and various library related software, applications and their processes.
- Performs other tasks as assigned by the Head of Technical Services
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Attends and participates in staff meetings, trainings, and other projects of the library as required and/or assigned.
- Assists patrons in a courteous and respectful manner within scope of training; refers patrons to appropriate personnel.
- Learns procedures and responsibilities primarily through oral instruction and observation which takes place on the job. Training is hands-on with repetition and reinforcement.
- Maintains confidentiality of sensitive information.
Skills, Knowledge, Abilities:
- Knowledge of and commitment to excellent customer service
- Ability to analyze issues, exercise good judgment, solve problems, and make decisions
- Ability to establish and maintain working relationships and communicate courteously and effectively with co-workers, supervisors, other personnel and the public.
- Working knowledge of basic personal computer operations including email, internet and various related software applications such as Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Ability to communicate and follow instructions, both oral and written, and follow established routines. Also, perform routine duties as assigned with minimal supervision and to complete assignments in a timely manner.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Manual dexterity sufficient to manipulate library materials, tools, and equipment to produce a consistent work product that meets expectations
- Visual acuity sufficient to perform duties and identify materials on shelving up to 90 inches in height and to read primarily typed or printed text and computer text in a variety of type sizes
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk, sit, talk, see and hear
- Reaching, bending, and kneeling to receive deliveries, deliver materials in the library, pack and unpack boxes and move items to and from a utility cart and book trucks to bins and desks
- Work is performed in an office environment, but does involve lifting or carrying up to 30 pounds and pushing and pulling objects on wheels weighing 60-80 pounds
- Movement throughout the library locating/retrieving materials
Status: This part-time position may require some evening and weekend work. The Technical Services Clerk generally works an established schedule. Additional hours may be provided on a temporary basis for staff substitution, staff training, and/or special projects. Additional staff time may be offered at the discretion of the Supervisor.
If you meet the qualifications and would like to apply for this position please submit application, resume and cover letter to the following:
Head of Technical Services, Vickie Niehaus (email@example.com)
Oldham County Public Library, 308 Yager Ave, LaGrange, 40031