PLEASE NOTE: This posting is for a temporary position at the Main Library in LaGrange to support the Science In Play exhibition. Applicants will apply through the Kentucky Science Center. Temporary position runs through January 31st-June 2nd. TO APPLY, VISIT kysciencecenter.org/employment
KENTUCKY SCIENCE CENTER
TITLE: Sip2Go Experience Specialist
REPORTS TO: Education Manager, Kentucky Science Center
The Experience Specialist is responsible for implementing and facilitating programs for school groups, families and teachers associated with Science in Play 2Go (Sip2Go) with emphasis on ages 1 through 8. This position will work approximately 17 weeks; 40 hours per week at the specified library venue and at the Kentucky Science Center for training for some weeks prior to exhibit arrival, so that all programs and activities presented and associated with Sip2Go accurately reflect the mission of the Kentucky Science Center and conform to strategic goals, objectives and outcomes. To that end, the Experience Specialist will interface regularly with the Education Manager and other key staff at the Kentucky Science Center via email, phone, and weekly meetings at the Library.
- Coordinate, schedule and deliver programs to schools and groups, public audiences and special events on a daily basis.
- Participate actively in the training and coaching of Library staff and volunteers assigned to the exhibit.
- Stock and stage Sip2Go each morning so that the exhibit and associated programs are ‘show ready’ by opening each day.
- Facilitate informal learning experiences throughout the day.
- Monitor condition of exhibit components, program support pieces and other materials and props; replenish consumables, report issues or problems promptly.
- Identify and collaborate with local partners and school districts for field trips, special programs and events around the Sip2Go experience.
- Prepare and submit weekly reports including, but not limited to attendance, exhibit condition, visitor feedback.
- Perform informal Sip2Go evaluation/assessment.
- Assist in identifying potential funding sources for future programming or transportation needs.
- Oversee photography and video related to the exhibit for both promotional and archival purposes, ensuring compliance with release forms and other legal concerns.
- Working with Kentucky Science Center; report Sip2Go info to Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives and Library Leadership who will oversee use of library website, social media, and other digital media platforms to market Sip2Go.
- Notify Kentucky Science Center of any media requests and serve as a resource for initial media questions. Participate in additional marketing efforts including outreach as necessary.
- Outgoing; comfortable interacting with both small and large groups of people from a wide variety of ages and backgrounds with a special affinity for working with young children.
- Enjoys developing and delivering a variety of educational and creative programs and activities for children and their families.
- Proactive; takes initiative to ensure the best visitor experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and public interaction skills.
- Organized, efficient, and adaptable; good critical eye for spotting small issues before they become problems.
- Ability to work proactively with little direct supervision.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION:
- Ability to work comfortably with the public of all ages and backgrounds.
- Ability to learn quickly, adapt to changing situations and react calmly under pressure.
- Understanding of how young children learn; able to apply that understanding.
- Ability to train, coach and oversee other staff/ volunteers as necessary.
Must be able to see, hear, and speak. Must be able to read and closely examine items and information. Incumbent spends a considerable amount of time standing, walking, bending and stretching, and manipulating objects with fingers and hands. Must be able to lift up to 40 lbs.
Temporary Full Time/
Reasonable accommodation may be made to those who are able to perform the essential duties of this job.
The Kentucky Science Center reserves the right to revise this Position Description, as it deems necessary.